SYL Foundation is committed to creating opportunity and access to higher education. The Foundation’s Lotus Scholarship Program provides assistance to recently immigrated students in Washington’s King, Pierce and Snohomish counties. The purpose of the scholarship program is to give financial support to immigrant and refugee students who are pursuing post-secondary education, regardless of the students’ immigration status.
Scholarship Amount $1500/year (renewable for up to 4 years)
- Student attends high school in King, Pierce or Snohomish county and is due to graduate in June 2017
- Immigrated to the United States during high school or after June 15, 2013
- Plans to attend a community college, university, technical or trade school
- Enrolled in ESL/ELL classes during high school
- Participated or enrolled in a college readiness program (sample programs here)
- Continues to participate and/or enroll in college persistence or support programs in college
- Available for an in person or virtual (e.g. Skype) interview in April 2017
- Completed applications must be postmarked no later than March 15, 2017.
- Candidates will be scheduled for an interview in April 2017.
- Candidates will receive notifications early May 2017 on application outcome.
Items to be included in application packet (1-5)
- Completed Application Form – Print and mail this form OR complete online form here.
- School Transcript of grades & classes taken
- Letter of Recommendation from a college prep teacher or advisor (can be in a sealed envelope or sent directly to Foundation by teacher or advisor)
- Essay (NOTE: If using online form, students do not need to mail essays)
- Any of the following documentation demonstrating financial need:
- FAFSA Student Aid Report
- 2015 Family Income Tax Return or W-2
- DSHS Benefits Letter
For current Lotus Scholarship recipients, you may renew the scholarship by:
- Completing this online form and mailing in: a) transcript showing grades and classes taken; and b) letter of recommendation from a college persistence advisor, advocate, or counselor (in a sealed envelope or sent directly to the Foundation by person recommending you); or
- Print and complete this form and mail it in along with: a) transcript showing grades and classes taken; b) letter of recommendation from a college persistence advisor, advocate, or counselor (in a sealed envelope or sent directly to the Foundation by person recommending you); and c) personal essay.
- Please complete the renewal application form and mail in all materials by July 1st.
All scholarship materials should be mailed to:
10655 NE 4th Street, Suite 608
Bellevue, WA 98004